There’s nothing more embarrassing for a healthy person than to have a bad breath. Many people feel they have no health issues, no bad habits and have a consistent lifestyle yet they suffer from bad breath which not only embarrasses them in public but also reduces their confidence. You in your own experiences might have come across people with bad breath and have tried to stay as far away from them as possible. You yourself might have faced the problem of bad breath and might have searched for thousands of ways to get rid of bad breath but in vain. Well, we understand your problem and hence we have compiled a list of well-researched remedies which can help you get rid of bad breath at the earliest and the good news is that all of this are items that can be found in your kitchen, which means, you need not go out of your house or spend extra money to solve your problem.
Before getting to know the remedies to solve the problem of bad breath it is very important for us to understand the causes which lead to bad breath in the first place. If you are not aware of the reason for your bad breath then probably you will be beating at the wrong end without any success. So, to solve the problem, first let us understand the source of the problem. We have listed the top offenders of bad breath and we want to disclose that this is not an exhaustive list by any stretch of the imagination.
So, here’s the list of offenders who are making a dent in your confidence level:
- Poor dental hygiene is one of the most important offenders of the bad breath. In this fast-paced life, we have started to ignore most important and basic fundamentals of our well being. And maintain a dental hygiene is one among them. People who do not brush or floss daily are guaranteed to face the problem of bad breath.
- Trapped Food: Many of us are turning out to be ignorant human beings. By this, we mean to say that we do not take good care of our health and do not follow a healthy lifestyle. Not flossing after having a meal or any food item makes the food particles stay in between our teeth which results in food particles releasing bad odor into our breath.
- Smoking and Alcohol: Smoking and consuming alcohol also leads to bad breath as they both reduce the production of saliva in your mouth, which results in you having a dry mouth.A study conducted in 2010 has revealed that long-term smoking and consumption of alcohol can significantly reduce the production of saliva which can open gates for unwanted and dangerous oral problems.
- Drinking coffee and eating pungent food: You might have noticed that right after consuming your favorite cup of coffee, your mouth starts to stink. This is because the caffeine present in the coffee slows down the production of saliva which in turn helps the bacteria to thrive in your mouth. Adding milk, cream or artificial non-dairy creamers are just what the bacteria’s wait for to make you feel worse. Also eating pungent food like onion and garlic has its own set of disadvantages when it comes to bad breath. It is better you stay away from these if you are already suffering from bad breath problems.
- Dental and Digestive Problems: Bad breath can be a warning of the impending dental problem and it is found out that odor-producing bacteria which affect your gums and teeth are also caused due to dental issues. Many of you may be suffering from digestive problems and as a result, face stinky breath problem. This is due to something known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) which can cause bad breath. A 2008 research found out that the bacteria that cause digestive problems and cancer can also lead to bad breath.
Now that we have understood the various causes of bad breath, let us find try to find out remedies for these problems. The home remedies suggested by experts are:
- One of the most important remedy to get rid of bad breath is drink lots of water. The more water you drink the better off you will be. Along with drinking water, make sure you swish water around your mouth after having a meal or consuming any food item so that no food particle stays in between your teeth.
- Fennel, Cinnamon, and Fenugreek: Fennel is an excellent mouth freshener that will help you get rid of bad breath. It contains antimicrobial properties in abundance that can act as resistant against the bacteria and have the powers to fight them off. You can either chew a teaspoon of Fennel to freshen your breath or if you are a tea lover, you can make Fennel tea and consume it twice a day. To prepare the Fennel tea, you have to put two table spoons of Fennel seed in a cup of water and boil it for 5 to 10 minutes. Cinnamon is another excellent remedy to fight off bad breath. It contains cinnamic aldehyde which is an essential oil which can help you fight not only bad breath but also bacteria inside your mouth. Boil a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water; you can also add bay leaves and cardamom if you wish. Strain the solution and use the remaining content as the mouth rinse twice a day to refresh your breath. Fenugreek tea can be prepared by boiling a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water. Strain the solution and drink the tea twice a day to get rid of the bad breath and bacterial problem.
- Cloves: Cloves have multiple benefits when it comes to health. Not only can cloves freshen your breath but they also have the power to fight the bacteria with their antibacterial properties. In ancient times it was common to toss a clove or two into the mouth and chew it for as long as possible. The benefit of chewing cloves is that it will automatically eliminate bad breath in a few minutes time. You can also prepare clove tea and consume it or use it as a mouthwash twice a day. Just add one tea spoon of cloves in the boiling water and turn off the burner after 5 to 10 minutes.
- Parsley: You can prepare a juice of parsley by grinding it in the juicer and consume the juice whenever you feel the need to refresh your breath. Or, you can simply chew the leaves either directly or after dipping it into vinegar to get rid of the bad odor of your breath.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice not only helps not only from dehydration but also has several other benefits attached to it. The pleasant smell of lemon juice not only helps you mask the bad odor but its acidic contents prevent the growth of bacteria in your mouth. Adding lemon juice and a tea spoon of salt to a cup of water and using it to rinse your mouth can help you solve the problem of dry mouth one of the main offenders of bad breath.
- Baking Soda: One more home remedy to get rid of bad breath is baking soda. You can make use of baking soda in the following ways to get rid of bad breath and solve your oral problems.
* You can use baking soda instead of toothpaste while brushing your teeth. Doing so will not only fight off bacteria but also will help in reducing the acidity in your mouth.
* You can also use it as a mouth rinse by mixing half a teaspoon of baking soda in a warm glass of water and use it until you get better results.
- Tea Tree Oil: Buy a toothpaste which contains tea tree oil and brush with it to get rid of bad breath, or, you can add a few drops of tea tree oil onto your regular toothpaste to fight off bacteria. You can also use tea tree oil as a mouthwash by mixing it along with peppermint oil and lemon oil in a glass of water. As tea tree oil is rich with antiseptic properties it acts as a strong disinfectant for your mouth.
- Tea: This particular point can make you smile. Yes, tea lovers have a reason to smile because the antioxidants present in natural herbal tea can help you fight against the bacteria and thus get rid of bad breath. Green tea, black tea or sage tea can help you combat bad breath but do remember not to add milk as it is one of the worst offenders of bad breath.
If even after trying all these remedies, the problem of bad breath and dry mouth still persists, we would suggest you to consult a dentist as ignoring it can have serious consequences.